Sunday, August 10, 2014

August 9th 2014 - Kids, Competition, Open Mat

Kids' Class

Boys were a little wild today which may be because Adam was teaching instead of Greg.  They started off the warmups by themselves but a few other kids showed up and I think it helped them focus.  Jayden's falls are getting a little better and with some reminders he was keeping himself from hitting his head on the mat during back falls.  They did well playing flag tag especially with their grip fighting.  I saw a few good scissor sweeps, but they had some problems with (accidentally?) tickling each other during the collar grab which slowed some things down.

Competition Class
Partner: Jordan

Jerad had us split our techniques into 5 minute rounds.  We worked on our takedown/guard pull strategy first.  I started out with pulling to cross guard and then mixed in a few double legs towards the end.  For guard passing I gave equal time to smash pass and the x-pass which felt great.  Had a few problems with my 2 on 1.  I didn't feel like I was able to push his hand far enough to the side while kicking out for the back take, I think I may need to push the arm out at a different angle.  I also had some problems with the hand off when he stood up, I'm not sure what is the best way to do this is yet.  We finished the drilling portion with some side control escapes.

We had a competition style roll and I mostly flowed and tried my best not to use any strength.  I used a lot of stiff arm defense when he attempted to pass and swept with omoplata. 


Open Mat
Rolled With: Matt, Tye, Phil

Matt had quite a friendly war.  I should have kept track of the time, but I'm sure we rolled for around 10 minutes.  There was quite a bit of back and forth.  We fought from each others half guard a few times.  I would switch hips and attempt to pull my knee out.  Eventually I spent some time in the bottom of his mount and he started to loosen my gi to start a brabo.  I'm not sure how I got out of mount but I felt really claustrophobic a couple times.  I remember working from deep half a bit as well as completing a butterfly sweep.  Eventually I was able to isolate an arm from top half guard and finished with an americana. 

This could have gone either way as there were a couple of times when I didn't feel like I would have the energy to get back on top.  I really hate this feeling when I'm trying to gauge how much energy I have left to use and then I'm wary of trying anything that could gas me, but I need to do something because I'm behind.  Often this bites me in the ass when I should fight my hardest to maintain guard instead of starting to fight hard once I'm in bad position. 

Tye (sp?) was interesting to roll with.  He has some flexibility and wasn't too bad with his pass attempts.  I quite a bit bigger than him and having more experience helps.  At one point I threw on a north/south choke and he asked me to show it to him and how to defend it.  To which I never refuse to show someone a part of my game.  Seemed like he picked up on it pretty well.  Later on he almost caught me in a triangle.  He had my head and arm trapped in but wasn't able to completely lock it up and I used the knee pry to eventually escape, although he did have me a little worried.  I gave him some pointers on changing the angle on the triangle after that roll and he seemed to appreciate it.

It's been a long time since I rolled with Phil and he asked me not to kick his ass too bad.  Jokingly I told him that was up to him.  I played some guard and off the bat attempted a hip bump sweep which he shut down.  I attributed that to being one of the favorite techniques of our friend Jorge.  I eventually played some deep half guard and was able to sweep.  In the end I was able to setup an armbar and after some work was able to separate his hands.  We went over armbar escapes as well as finishing the armbar.  He mentioned that people were able to stack him while attempting the armbar and Will and I advised him to use the leg over their head more to pin them.  Also I went over not trying to pull at the elbow to get the armbar but to attack lower by the wrist to lever it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment