Sunday, August 3, 2014

August 2nd 2014 - Kids, Competition Class, Open Mat

Kids' Class

My boys were the only two in class again and they were not really on their best behavior.  It was the same thing with Jayden letting his head hit the ground after each back fall, I'll try to work on it with him tomorrow.  Then neither of them wanted to do forward rolls on their left sides.  They do have fun during the games and they want to go to class.  Hopefully someday they'll share the love of this martial art with me. 

Flag tag has been going very well and they seem to enjoy it.  They both have their own strategies as Jace has the most success pushing his opponent out of the ring, while Jayden has success hand fighting and getting around to pull the flag. 

Competition Class
Partner: Conan

I met with Greg before the kids class and we decided on the techniques I would drill during the competition class 2 on 1 to Back Take, Smash Pass, Deep Half Homer Sweep.  Conan was great to work with and gave me some pointers that will be a huge improvement on the techniques that I chose.

Closed Guard 2 on 1 to Back take: Conan gave me 2 changes on this one.  First was a more efficient way to get to the hand position after grabbing the pistol grip.  The second was during the butt scoot to push their arm away more to get them to turn.  Both were huge improvements.

Smash Pass: I had to have Greg show this to me before class which helped.  I think my biggest problem with it right now is not knowing when to use it.  My second problem is the timing of switching to the underhook during the pass motion.  Conan helped me figure out how to keep my hips lower and have been head pressure.  I felt a lot better about this pass after the drilling portion.

Deep Half Homer Sweep: I wasn't really feeling this technique today, and I'm not sure why.  I think I'm still having trouble with the knee control, which may be the problem. I find that my opponent's other leg is getting in the way quite often when I go for the actual sweep.

Ross and I had a tournament style match which I'm having a difficult time remembering.  My first goal was to keep him from passing guard since he was able to pass twice yesterday.  Somehow I went from guard to side mount and setup a farside armbar.  I helped him with his single leg a little bit with the little before the class ended.  Then I showed him my setup for the breadcutter that has worked well for me, that Jerad showed me previously. 

Open Mat
Rolled With: Jordan, Austin, Conan, Greg

Jordan: We rolled 3 or 4 times where I started in guard each time.  I mostly played butterfly and spider until I could sweep or setup a loop choke.  I stressed to him to fight for good pant grips when starting and we worked on a bullfighter a bit. 

Austin: I made my way to side control and from there attempted a bow and arrow.  The gi was over his chin and he was able to defend off the choke with some good hand fighting.  I moved to back control next and worked on the RNC setup.  I had to lock his arm up with my legs and then used the pry that Greg has described multiple times to work my way into the choke. 

Conan: He was nursing a thumb injury that I hope will heal by next Saturday.  I played a lot of guard against him and even successfully used his cross bicep stiff arm to regain guard like he showed me.  I played a little cross guard and I unbalanced him a little but wasn't able to sweep or did I?  Somehow in the end I was on top attempting to pass his guard, but I think his thumb was bothering him and he had to quit.   

Greg: He rolled with me under the condition that I drill something with him, which I'm more than happy to do.  He wanted to work on his guard pulling which is awesome.  I think I'm figuring out how he's getting to single leg-x but I don't really know how to prevent it...yet.  I don't remember how he submitted me but I defended a baseball bat choke and then an armbar.  I don't remember what he ended up submitting me with though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment