Thursday, August 14, 2014

August 13th 2014 - Gi (Bent)

Theme & Techniques: Basic Throws/Takedowns, Butterfly Guard Grip Breaking, Arm Drag to Back Take, Defended Arm Drag to Butterfly Sweep
Partner: Adam, Bauer

We did fit-ins and then throws and takedowns from the white belt curriculum.  One partner would do these throws in a row: Osoto Gari, Seonage, Koshi Guruma, O-Goshi, double leg.  No problems here for me, except I need to work on getting a better penetration step with my double leg.

I'm pretty confident with my grip fighting from butterfly guard.  I feel like it's improved recently with my focus on attacking more from the guard.  We went from the RNC break on the pants, to grabbing the wrist and kicking our leg out to break, and finally breaking wrist grabs with a Y-grip circular motion.  We did the arm drag off of the kick grip break and used the jump back for the back take.  Finally we looked for the opponent to pull their arm away as soon as we went for the arm drag to leave an opening to close the distance and get an underhook for the butterfly sweep.  I had a little trouble with the timing of this, but got it to work a couple times in practice. 

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Butterfly, Free Rolling (2 x 5 min)
Rolled With: Conan, Adam, Gina, Mike, Bauer, Jordan (Wrestler)

I was a part of and witnessed some good battles during up down and out.  First Greg had us start in butterfly from a distance and I feel like my passing was feeling pretty strong.  I mostly looked for my pant grips and then was relentless on my passes.  I even almost passed Adam, but missed a key piece of not collecting his sleeve during a knee slide.  He ended up turtling and then I went for his back, but couldn't get my hooks in and he eventually turned into me.  I attempted an x-pass against Conan but he was able to catch me with a butterfly hook which he's been working on. 

From the bottom my guard retention seems to be coming along fine.  I'm finding it easier to weave my legs in when I need to.  One problem that I need to ask about is when I have a cross collar grip my opponent will often post on my leg and pass that way and my collar grip feels useless and it seems like sometimes I almost get my back taken.  A collar drag may be the answer, but I think it's a good question for Greg Friday, but if anyone else has any thoughts please post them, if you know what I'm talking about.

I was attempting to pass Mike's (Tumbleweed) guard and he setup and slick omoplata which I defended by hunkering down and then jumping to the other side of his body.  Suddenly I heard him shouting in pain and freaking out a bit.  One of his fingers had been dislocated and bent at a 30 degree angle and it looked pretty nasty.  He ran over to Greg asking him what he should do, and Greg got him to calm down.  Conan stepped in and straightened it right up.  I felt really bad, as I don't want to be the cause of anyone not being able to train.  I realize it was an freak accident.  Luckily Mike seemed fine by the end of class except for some swelling. 

The roll with Bauer, went very similar to last time.  I played guard and attempted to play my game and he shut everything down.  I did remind myself to try some new things and loosen up a bit, but I still couldn't get anything going.  Eventually I was in half guard and working towards the underhook and then somehow I was on top.  Soon after the timer went off.  It gave me some food for thought.  I have to come up for some contingencies when I can't underhook the leg for my cross guard.  I think the 2 on 1 would have also served me well, but I need to internalize it more.

I tried to take it easy on Jordan and had some fun.  I worked some single leg x and tried to set it up with the shin to shin while he was standing.  I also played around with a triangle attempt off of his omoplata defense, but he did a good job with his posture so I went back to the omoplata.  I also surprised him with the stiff arm defense from side mount to which he said "not that again" or something to that affect.

I got some kudos from Bauer, Jordan, and Adam after class.  They pretty much said that my game feels pretty strong and it's coming along.  Me being a person that is terrible at accepting compliments tried to redirect my progress to how great of a program Greg is running.  Which is true but I also do put a lot of work into this and it's nice to be told that once in a while especially by people that I respect.  Adam even said something like "You make me want to come to class so I can kick your butt."  That probably wouldn't make sense to someone outside of Jiu-Jitsu, but it makes total sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment