Friday, August 1, 2014

August 1st 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: Technical Stand-up, Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura from Guard
Partner: Bhuvana

Mostly just worked on some of the finer points of her techniques.  She was having trouble with timing the jazz hands and crunch to get the opponent's hands on the floor.  In the end I think she finally got it, but it will take some time to get confident with it.  Also had to stress the leg across the back during the kimura.

It's pretty ingenious of Greg to put these 3 techniques together.  They all share the same position of 1 knee up, the other leg down, and an arm forward with the other hand back (not so much on the kimura).  From there they differ but they have a commonality nonetheless. 

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Guard Position, Free Rolling Post Class
Rolled With: Darijo, Dave, Ross, Bhuvana, Nic, Greg

My objective today was to give the other guys a chance at the beginning to see what they'd do.  So instead of establishing my own grips and getting to the guard break and pass or working toward my sweep as efficiently as I could, I'd let them establish the grips that they wanted and see what their plan was.  A couple of people seemed puzzled by this, as if I was setting up a trap for them and I had to coax a few people to act first.  I realized how important it is to beat the other person to the punch with getting grips and playing your game first.  I think this may help when rolling with my seniors.

For Greg I did a standing guard break and we fought for sleeve control for a bit.  He switched to an open guard and he eventually setup the single leg-x to full x-guard to finally sweep me with the technical stand up sweep.  I've got to get better at preventing the single leg-x position.  I would also like to learn how to get to this position the way he does.

Ross gave me a heck of a time after class and it was great.  I underestimated him a bit and took him lightly at first like I was rolling during positional rolling.  He was able to pass my guard twice.  He attempted to attack some americanas and the bread cutter which I was able to fend off.  His pressure was good and I had a tough time escaping.  Eventually I started to get a little fatigued and felt like it was time to turn it up, but it might have been a little late because my mind was messing with me a bit.  I recovered guard and was able to pull off a hip bump sweep and went right to a mounted triangle, but he did a great job of hiding his arm and escaping.  I ended up in guard again and had to butterfly sweep.  From there I passed to side control and worked on a kimura/armbar.  After letting him know how hard he made me work he said that it was partly due to our previous rolls and helpful hints.  I'm honored to accept a compliment like that!  I let him know that I wouldn't be taking it easy on him anymore. 

I'm planning on attending the competition class starting tomorrow.  I am not however, planning on competing in the upcoming Circle of Iron.  I may wait for the winter tournament.  I'm planning on working on 2 on 1 to back take as my guard technique and Smash pass as my guard pass. I haven't decided for my 3rd miscellaneous technique but I have some ideas: My Guard Pull  to cross guard, 2 on 1 to arm between the leg sweep, Baseball Bat Choke, Deep Half Homer Simpson sweep or Waiter Sweep.  That list got bigger as I started to think about it.  Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment