Saturday, August 23, 2014

August 22nd 2014 - Gi

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Half Guard Tripod Pass, Granby Roll from Turtle
Partner: Dave

Low attendance for a Friday morning.  Dave was in rare form, as some jackass had berated him on his way to Jiu-Jitsu for riding his bike too slowly.  He gave Jiu-Jitsu props for keeping him calm and being able to just shrug it off and keep on making his way to class. 

As usual Dave was great to work with and is thankful for all of the pointers and help I gave him with the techniques.  He had the most improvement with the granby roll with rolling a little tighter and getting under himself as well as swinging his leg out a bit more and using his other leg to hook my armpit. 

Rolling: Half Guard & Turtle Position (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling Post Class
Rolled With: Dave, Anthony (New), Greg

Dave did a good job of locking my leg in tight and not allowing the knee slide.  From the bottom I was usually able to get an underhook and stay on my side. He may not realize how important underhooks are yet but I'm sure it will come soon.

I almost gave Anthony the nickname of Willie for Willie Nelson.  At the beginning of class he wore a bandana and he has a beard and long hair, but he's quite a bit younger.  It may be a little early for nicknames.  At first I imposed the techniques that we worked on in class to hopefully show that they work, then I helped him get through a couple escapes with a little more resistance than he probably faced in the drilling portion.  He seemed to enjoy himself and asked some good questions.

I was excited to train with Greg today.  I was so close to sweeping him, I got an underhook and he moved to inverted half guard automatically I used a butterfly hook on his calf and was able to raise him and almost get to side control. Then Greg performed magic and regained half guard.  My worst showing was in top turtle. I think I need more attacks from there. Switching sides to get grips has been working well though.

No comments:

Post a Comment