Sunday, May 24, 2015

All School Training and Belt Promotion (Plus Announcement)

The first thing that happened was Mike and I were announced as instructors for LBJJC.  It was the best part of the day for me.  Of course I've known for a little while so it wasn't a surprise for me, but Greg had also said some kind words about our abilities in being able to relate BJJ.  Besides the pleasure I get out of being able to sweep and submit people I also get a lot out of teaching and helping my fellow students.  It's truly a great feeling when I'm watching someone roll and they use a technique that I just gave them some pointers on.  For now I will just be filling in when needed, like when Conan and Greg go on vacation this summer.


Like last year we separated the mat so the adults weren't stepping on the kids during the warm-ups.  The focus of the day was guard passing and Greg had asked me the day before if I would teach over/under pass.  It is probably my highest percentage pass and not one that is taught in the white belt curriculum so it was a good choice.  It was a little daunting at first because I taught a group of maybe 20+.  The important steps that I tried to get across for the pass include:
  •  I usually do it off of 3 different entries: the basic kneeling guard break, the Standing guard break, and butterfly guard
  • Control their foot between your legs because if that gets free you will most likely get caught with a triangle.
  • After burying the foot take the other arm under their opposite leg and grab the belt and connect your ear to their thigh
  • The other arm on the buried foot leg goes over the knee and grabs the pants down by the ankle
  • Elbows should be tight
  • Do a plank and make sure your butt isn't too high in the air
  • Punch their leg down between your legs and backstep
  • Set your knee on their hip and slide yourself up and get the cross face
The rest of the class I helped with the kids.  They played some flag tag and then Jerad taught the knee slide pass.  My boys had a little trouble with motivation for doing the technique but they were happy with flag tag and both had some good matches.  At the end they rolled from guard position as did the adults but I didn't see too much of it.  Such is life of an assistant instructor.

The promotion ceremony took place after and quite a few people got promoted.  Among them were new blue belts for Bauer, Mike (Lawyer), and Zack.  All 3 of them I've had many great rolls with on the mats.  Of course we'll have to find a way to break their belts in. 

My boys and I all received one stripe each putting us all at 3.  My youngest was very into the ceremony and instead of being shy was cheering along with everyone else and walked across the floor a few times.  He was especially cute in his tiny gi.  He didn't earn any stripes though. 

Possibly this time next year I'll be eligible for my purple.  Thinking back I've come a long way in a year.  I've taken interest in certain parts of my game like deep half and cross guard and added a couple of passes like x-pass and smash pass.  Who knows how much my game will change in another year.  Probably need to take a good hard look at my perceived deficiencies and work to correct them.  I'd like to improve my wrestling and scrambles especially which may be my next focus.  

No comments:

Post a Comment