Wednesday, May 27, 2015

May 27th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Head Lock Defense w/ Tani Otoshi, Kneeling Guard Break, Single Under Pass
Partner: Austin

We joked a bit about making a daytime advanced class since there were 4 blue belts present this morning.  We're probably a few years away.  Once again with the guard pass I focused primarily on getting the grips and then doing everything else smoothly.  Nothing else to report.

Rolling: Closed Guard Position (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling
Rolled With: Austin, Mike, Cat, Will

I tried a few Tozi passes today but didn't complete any of them.  None of them got me in trouble but I had to reset every time.  Greg commented that I was turning my hips too soon before I got their leg smashed.  Also from the top at one point I was in the middle of passing half guard when the ezekiel presented itself and it felt automatic. 

I've been picking on Cat a little bit by catching her with omoplatas and pointing it out before I complete it.  She seems to be catching on though at what I'm looking for and getting her elbows against her body.  

Mike caught me in an omoplata and I couldn't shake him off.  He stuck to me through trying to get beneath him and trying to get my arm free until he could finish the sub.  On our second roll I took a little risk in putting his lapel across his throat.  He went for the armbar and I pulled back in time.  It took some doing but I was able to pass his guard by tying him up with an arm triangle and I made it to quarter guard.  I kept the pressure and stepped over to the other side to free my leg.

Had an interesting roll with Will.  He pulled guard and after a few attempts at toreando I was able to complete a leg drag.  From there I was in north/south and really wanted the back take from last week.  I got his gi out in the right position and lifted his back up off the floor, but his hips seemed too far away for me.  Later after discussing it with Mike the thing I fucked up was that I stayed on my knees.  I just needed to pop up to my feet and it's so much easier.  Anyway, to defend Will brought his legs up and put me into a leg lock position and went for a toe hold.  I saw it coming and defended a little bit but was a little surprised that he attempted one.  No big deal since he didn't crank it or anything, but I kind of wish I knew it was a possibility.  When we restarted, I fought hard for a butterfly hook sweep and finally got it as the buzzer went off.

Office Hours Partner: Mike

We discussed the back take thing and then he showed me an armbar that he's working on from x-guard.  Seemed pretty legit, so be on the lookout for it.  We rolled to finish up the day and I had some good deep half guard work.  I still had some trouble completing any sweeps but felt like some of my movement and off balancing was good.  At one point he went for a knee bar and I went for a toe hold we separated and he ended up being on top side control and then taking my back.  I'm having trouble recalling how he submitted me. 

We discussed deep half for a little while afterward and I decided that I may just focus on the position and unbalancing for a while rather than individual techniques.  So once I get to deep half I'm just going to try to roll people over and get to my knees as quickly as possible.  Then I think the other stuff might open up.


No comments:

Post a Comment