Tuesday, May 5, 2015

May 5th 2015 - Gi Beginner (Just Watch)

Theme & Techniques: O-Soto Gari, Basic Side Control Escape, Americana from Side Control
Partner: N/A

My gout has come on strong this week, so I decided to torture myself by just watching.  Noticed a few things that I wouldn't have if I had been out there.  There are some details that I know Greg says but people are not necessarily doing when they do the techniques.  I don't mean to disparage anyone because I have experienced multiple times that I wasn't ready for a technique or a specific detail of a technique.  It will hopefully happen over and over again even on techniques that I already think I know. 

So a couple of things that I saw:
  • Not stepping up next to the opponent for O-Soto Gari
  • Planting the sweeping foot for the O-Soto Gari instead of swinging through
  • Resting foot on thigh in bottom side control to block mount
  • Knee or foot dropping during side control escape
  • Keeping elbows nice and tight while setting up americana

Rolling: Side Control Position
Rolled With: N/A

Saw some great things from everyone.  This is the hardest part for me to watch and just sit there.  I won't make too many comments on specific rolls, but I did see Anthony setup a triangle and finish it,  Zack and Robert had quite a battle, and it's always fun watching Bhuvana and Sam work diligently to gain ground.



No comments:

Post a Comment