Friday, May 22, 2015

May 22nd 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Cross Collar Choke and Armbar from Guard
Partner: Robert

Big class for a Friday morning with a total of 9!  Still trying to get comfortable with the cross collar choke.  I think I just need to practice getting my second hand in the collar over and over again.  It seems like if I start with my left hand and I get the deep grip with that, my right hand has an easier time being the second hand. 

Seems to be a little bit of issue with order of operations with the armbar.  Both Will and Conan like to put the foot on the hip before putting the hand on the collar, where Greg taught to grab the collar first before opening the guard.  I can see the benefits to both.  I'm not sure which one I prefer because I hardly ever complete an armbar from guard that I setup.  I'll get an armbar off of a failed omoplata sometimes but at that point their arm and posture is already controlled. 

Rolling: Up/Down/Out Closed Guard
Rolled With: Jordan, Greg, Zack, Robert, Anthony, Josh, Conan, Dave, Morgan

Focused on the kneeling guard break when I was on top and when that didn't work I went to standing.  Didn't hit any omoplatas that I remember. 

I had a good battle with Conan.  I ended up in x-guard but he turned his foot in a way that his knee came down on me.  We kind of reset and then he passed easily.  I almost hit a scissor sweep on Greg but he popped back up.  He appreciated my effort afterwards.  I ended up in deep half with Robert and was a little disappointed.  I tried a couple different sweeps but had a hard time sweeping.  I attempted the basic sweep first, then the waiter, and finally using the lapel from the Faria DVD.  He ended up stepping out of it and passing.  I guess the good thing is that I controlled the position for quite a while, I think I was a little frantic and should have taken my time to setup the sweep a little more.

I went for the tozi pass against Zack once which ended me in half guard and we had a tough battle from there.  He got me in lockdown a couple times and I would get my leg free.  I'd get the underhook and then he would.  I'd switch my hips he'd bridge.  Eventually somehow I ended up on his back without hooks but we were falling off the mat.  I was spent, the combination of humidity and not getting enough sleep last night. 

Office Hours Partner: Zack

Got some help from Greg and went over the side control to triangle.  The major focus was trapping the arm first by moving down their hips and pushing their legs to the other side and then moving up the elbow.  I also saw how easy it was to transition into the spiral armbar. 

We also went over the back take from north/south that I saw Keenan Cornelius do in the video below.  The huge take away from the class was getting the hooks in after standing up.  The first time I tried it, I sat to my butt and tried to put both hooks in and failed.  Greg told us to come up and put the hook in on the side we were going to fall too.  Huge light bulb moment and something that makes a lot of sense that I didn't realize.  See the back take at around 3:45, he then proceeds to put the hook in that he falls to.


No comments:

Post a Comment