Wednesday, May 20, 2015

May 20th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: O-Goshi, Cross Collar Choke and Armbar from Guard
Partner: Josh (Beard), Will

Asked Greg about the look at the watch part of the throw and he said it's more proper Judo but doesn't cross over to no-gi.  Still had trouble with the cross choke but the princess wave and getting off line helped and I was doing better by the end.  I think I am getting a feel for when it is wrong.

Rolling: Closed Guard Position (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Greg, Cat, Josh, Anthony

I made an honest attempt to focus on the techniques from class today.  Primarily the cross choke.  It didn't happen for me.  Everyone's arms got in my way and I had a hard time controlling posture.  Omoplatas however rained from the sky.  I'm finding a lot of success in going straight for the omoplata sweep instead of for the submission first.  If the sweep is stopped they're usually stretched out enough that I can bring my arm up around their waist and get the submission.  From the top I attempted the tozi pass a couple times but had no success.  Used the standing guard break to knee slide instead.

Office Hours Partner: Greg

I got nowhere with Greg today but I'm happy that he rolled with me.  He stopped me at every turn.  I ended up in single leg-x and then got swept by the technical stand-up sweep.  I am also being caught over and over again with the spiral armbar type position.  I'm getting the underhook from side mount but I'm not able to do anything with it.  Then when he steps over into mount the underhook is there for him to armbar.  He's been catching me with it a lot lately.  He denied my attempts at deep half as well.  After rolling he commented that he liked what I was doing with butterfly guard but I was allowing too much space for his upper body and not controlling his arms enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment