Sunday, May 31, 2015

May 30th 2015 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class
Technique/Game: Double Ankle Grab Sweep, Tripod Sweep, Close Guard Rolling, Flag Tag

I ended up being the assistant instructor today.  We showed up a little early and the boys participated at the end of the younger kids class since there was only 1.  They did some sumo and the girl that was there was kicking their butts.  I was happy that they didn't get too upset about losing like they have in the past.  Then we played some blob tag.

Very small class for the older kids class.  Jayden is still a little unmotivated to try hard in the warm-ups but I do see progress.  They didn't do too bad with the technique portion.  I did it with them a couple times each which I think helped.  Rolling from guard was fine they like this part.  They do need to learn both some guard retention and passing. 

They're going to start going 3 times a week starting next week, so we'll see how that goes.  Hopefully working on the same techniques 3 times a week I think will make a huge difference instead of new techniques once a week. 

Open Mat
Rolled With: Josh, Jerad, Lucas, Greg, Bhuvana, Adam
Game Plan: Bottom - Deep Half, Top - Spiral Armbar

Josh: He felt kind of beat up and just wanted to drill.  He was working on a side control reversal that was Conanesk, where you reach over their back and grabbing the belt and then rotate your body to get underneath them and roll them over.  I took some turns with it and Josh did a good job of explaining some of the things I was screwing up.  After drilling it he wanted some ideas for followup submissions.  I suggested kimura, armbar, and north/south choke.  After drilling the kimura for a while we went over the NS choke because he was unfamiliar with it.  I drilled some deep half guard stuff.  He gave me the right amount of resistance as I would start from half, get to deep half, then attempt a sweep or take the back.  I was pretty winded by the end so I think I need to do this more often.

Jerad: Had some early success after passing his guard.  I felt like I was doing well attacking from the top and tried to keep him busy defending.  I ended up in a north/south choke and he turned away.  I locked up the deep guillotine and tried to put my legs around him and go to guard.  This is where I made my mistake I fell to my butt and started lifting before I secured his hips down.  Then he was on top, but I didn't just fall apart as I sometimes do when I lose a good position.  I went to butterfly guard but eventually got passed.  He spent a lot of time in a position in between mount and knee on belly mostly to prevent my quarter guard.  He submitted me with the bow and arrow choke twice.

Lucas: He is nothing short of a monster being quite a bit bigger than me and well versed in wrestling.  I sat to butterfly guard with a collar grip and then the pressure started.  I was forced into half guard and started to give up some ground.  I knew I didn't want that to happen so I did my best to keep my frame above all else.  I got back to full guard but I couldn't hook my feet behind his back comfortably.  He kept pushing forward and while he was putting his hands up by my head I couldn't turn it into an armbar.  I attempted collar chokes, a kimura, and even my cross guard stuff but couldn't get the leverage.  Finally I attempted a scissor sweep which gave him the chance to pin my leg to the ground and get over to side mount.  Now I was in big trouble.  I brought my elbows in and put up with some nasty crossfaces.  Then his elbow flared out and I saw my opportunity and went for the elbow push escape.  He kept pushing back but it actually caused him to fall over and I went to the top.  Whew!  He seemed pretty tired by this time and a Rickson choke came pretty easily. 

Greg: Rolled with Greg a few times and dealt with a crap load of knee on belly.  I noticed that I had the desire to go to an underhook from here but due to recent experience with Greg my mind kept smacking down the desire to do that.  Probably the best thing that I did was at the beginning of one of our rolls I started out with some spider guard and decided to just go for the basic sweep.  He went right over to his back.  But, I didn't pull my spider hook back to start my guard pass and he just got back up and started passing my guard.  He caught me with a pretty nasty kimura that I had to tap quickly to because my body was pinned and I couldn't come up with it at all.

Bhuvana: We went over a couple techniques like the NS choke and the tozi pass.  We rolled for a little while.  I started off giving her top side control so I could fight out of it.  In the end I was attacking from mount for quite a while and she was defending quite well.  I went to side control and started setting the baseball bat but had a tough time getting to her collar.  Finally, we went over the sickle sweep and she wanted to know how to set it up and I tried my best to give a few options of when they stand to break the guard or if someone is attempting toreando and you can break their grip.

Adam: Had a quick roll with Adam.  I started out strong and almost swept and ended up on top but he went belly down and wrestled me back to guard.  I stayed strong and aggressive but he eventually tied my legs up and got to side control.  After a lot of defending he submitted me with a kimura.  He gave me quite the compliment and said to let him know whenever I was training in the evenings because he'd like to train with me more often.  From my point of view I feel like he always kills me, so maybe I just need a little more confidence.


No comments:

Post a Comment