Friday, May 29, 2015

May 29th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Head Lock Defense w/ Tani Otoshi, Kneeling Guard Break, Single Under Pass
Partner: Josh

Josh did well today and I enjoy working with him, very on point and asks good questions.  We worked on hand fighting a bit during the guard break and gave each other a little resistance.  Greg gave a pointer that I hadn't heard him mention earlier.  When sitting back to break the guard it's better to start with your thigh vertical and keep it vertical a little longer so they have less of a chance to ride up your thigh.  Greg caught me flaring my elbow a couple times during the guard break and I was surprised that I was being lazy with something like that.

Rolling: Closed Guard (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Josh, Zack, Dave, Conan, Austin

Some good rolling happened.  Zack and Conan both gave me a hard time and I was huffing and puffing by the end of it.  Hopefully I get used to this humidity soon.  I used the kneeling guard break a few times successfully, I went to over/under pass and knee slide instead of the single under pass.  I was able to pull off the north/south back take that I've been looking at for the first time in rolling.  I got the gi open and under the armpits and then jumped to my feet and put the bottom hook in.  There were a couple moments where I was close to back mount but didn't make it to the position. 

Office Hours Partner: Conan, Greg

Didn't roll after class but I showed Conan a tozi pass variation that I saw on youtube and we spent some time troubleshooting the situation.  I talked to Greg about a deep half technique to use when they step over your head that I saw on the Faria DVD.  He thought it was good, but if he got a hold of my outside leg he could prevent it.  So the main solution is to not let them step over my head as it was before.  More posture! 

No comments:

Post a Comment