Wednesday, August 12, 2015

August 12th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Double Leg, Americana from Mount, Bread Cutter from Side Mount
Partner: Brian (Sweeney), Will

Worked on the double some more.  I was having some trouble with my penetration step and then Greg said just pull him over me more.  That made a big difference.  A couple times Brian almost caught me in half guard and not sure if that was something that I was doing or if it was his reaction, but I usually don't run into that with others.

My elbows were pretty tight from the americana the day before so I seemed to tap a little sooner.  I'm really not flexible for this submission in the first place.  The bread cutter also got a little tough to take after a while with the constant gi across the throat.

Rolling: Mount (4 x 2 min), Side Control (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Greg, Brian, Will, Morgan, Casey

Greg's mount was awful to be stuck in.  He got both of his feet under my legs and took away my ability to bridge.  Then he worked to pry an arm isolated and I think he was going for the arm triangle choke.  I survived the entire round but I was eventually going to be submitted.  From top I wasn't nearly as effective and he escaped a couple times.  There was one point when I was trying to walk his arm up with my fingers and he bridged hard to that side.  My fingers got stuck and bent back just enough to hurt and I had to stop the roll.  No damage and we got back to it, just scared me a little.

Brian did pretty well in mount.  His movements and defense especially were good and hard to deal with.  I rolled with Will and Morgan from side control.  I did my best to prevent the collar grip for the bread cutter choke by blocking the bicep as they both went for that choke.  Side control is always difficult to escape and often a scramble is created.  At one point I did get the elbow push and I made sure to commit to it and get onto my back hand because lately I don't think I've gotten up enough with it.  From the top I also went for the bread cutter but couldn't cinch up the second grip.  I played some knee on belly and had to switch sides a couple times. 

I rolled with Casey, who had just mentioned to Greg that we needed more small guys in the gym.  That affected me a little while we were rolling and I got to a top position and I tried to be a little lighter on him than I probably would have.  I did do some knee on belly though to even it out.  He defended an omoplata that I put on in our second match well enough that I had to settle for the sweep instead of the submission.

Rolled with Greg again to finish the class off.  Started off in butterfly which is always a mistake with him.  He passed right to half guard and it went downhill from there.  I did a couple of good things and recovered half guard at one point, but didn't do much offensively.  He attacked from mount again and I think he was looking for the arm triangle. 

Office Hours Partner: Morgan

During our roll from side control, he tried to get under me to take my back and I mentioned that I'd show him a better way after class.  So I just went over if they are turned away and you can get harness or gift wrap then bring the knee up high under their shoulder, step over and sit to the other side for back mount.  It seemed like he was focused on getting his hips under me to take the back instead of getting hips above, if that makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment