Tuesday, August 4, 2015

August 4th 2015 - Gi Beginner (My Way)

Had a good discussion with Conan yesterday that helped put my mind at ease.  The last couple weeks I've been focusing on being more aggressive and insisting on what I want.  Mostly this was brought on by having troubles with our resident wrestlers.  He recalled going through a similar phase and getting passed it.  A lot of it had to do with controlling the pace.  We also discussed what "insisting on what I want" meant.  While this was an informative couple of weeks and I feel like I've improved, I don't think I need to focus on it going forward for now.  I will find answers to my problems in my own way while staying true to my personal style. 

Theme & Techniques: Standing Headlock Defense Hammerlock to RNC, Elbow Escape from Mount, Armbar from Mount
Partner: Bhuvana

Bhuvana had some issues with the first technique in that I pretend punched her in the face 20 times while attempting the defense.  It was pretty much just order of operations.  1/2. Keep your posture and be prepared to defend from a punch; 3. Trap the far arm; 4. Grab the headlocking wrist; 5. Change your angle; 6. Duck under to hammerlock; 7. Kick the Back of the knee; 8. RNC

The elbow escape is not something that I use by itself.  It will sometimes come up while trying to escape the mount but it's usually not something I'll get by just focusing on it.  So don't worry too much if you find it not working for you off the shelf.  Try to use it in conjunction with the upa escape.

For the armbar I like to think about using a gymnast pummel horse move as I push myself up and kick my leg over their head.  This analogy seems to work for me.  Also I like to sit on their shoulder and try to slide under it.  This prevents creating additional space during the technique.

Rolling: Mount Position (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Bhuvana, Ben, Greg, Robert

Great day of rolling.  Mount position went fine.  There are really only a select group of people that I fear when they get me in mount.  From the top I feel pretty methodical.  I have several options it's just getting an arm out that I take most of the time doing.  Bhuvana and Ben were both good at defending and keeping their arms in tight.

Did some good things against Greg.  I attempted a butterfly sweep and it felt a lot better than any previous attempts with him.  Still didn't get him over and directly after he said I should have went for x-guard.  I flowed into deep half at one point and went right to waiter.  But in all the excitement I didn't keep control of his other leg so he stepped over and we were in a strange inverted half guard position.  I don't think he submitted me because he got a phone call from the door repair guys as he was working his way to that goal.

Also had some success with Robert.  Hit a good omoplata sweep that I worked hard for from a modified cross guard.  Then I felt like I was in a rodeo because of the constant anticipation and adjustment from him turning into me or going to turtle.  The last couple weeks of focusing on wrestling has paid off a little bit.  At one point I had him in a collar choke/bow and arrow but he was able to get his fingers in and defend.  As soon as I tired out we stood up and he double legged me.  I was searching for the guillotine but he was able to prevent that and I ended up in side control.  This is something that I need to address.

Office Hours Partner: Ben, Alejandro, Robert

I had Ben in guard at one point with his arms extended and turned it into a sweep.  We discussed the position a bit in how he needed to get his posture back and protect himself from an armlock.

I felt a little better about my performance with Alejandro.  He set up a couple armbars that I was just barely able to get out of.  Eventually he got my back and was attacking a bow and arrow when the time ran out. 

Robert got me back in our last roll.  I spent most of the time on the bottom of side mount and turtle.  I felt like I fought the turtle adequately but it was rough.  I did make it to deep half and then waiter sweep position.  I attempted to go to x-guard but fucked it up big time.  Alejandro went over it with me again soon after.



No comments:

Post a Comment