Tuesday, August 18, 2015

August 18th 2015 - Gi Beginner

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Gueruma, Side Control Tripod Escape, Side Control Kimura
Partner: Bhuvana

Bhuvana is in a little bit of a vicious cycle in that she is relaxed on all of the fit in throws and then when the 5th rep comes when we throw she drops her hips and makes the throw exceedingly difficult.  So, before our last set I told her that I was going to throw her on one of the throws before 5.  She was a little worried but I ended up making sure she was relaxed on the first fit in and then threw her three times without any problems.  She was surprised that she fell well without getting hurt.  Greg commented that it was because she was more relaxed.

Everyone has trouble with this side control escape.  It's difficult to push off your foot and staying on your shoulder.  I still have problems keeping my shoulder on the floor.  I do use the underhook to escape a lot though.

Since I've learned this kimura setup from Greg it has changed my defense a lot from side control too.  You pretty much cannot have your outside hand resting on either side of their head.  There's either the kimura or the farside armbar.  I'm always ready to hide my hand under their shoulder.  I've been in the spot several times since learning this technique where my arm was on their shoulder and they are pushing forward to finally get the kimura grip.  It's almost inevitable that the kimura is going to happen, but you have no choice but to keep your hand up on their shoulder for as long as you can.

Rolling: Side Control (4 x 2 min), Free Rolling (4 min)
Rolled With: Bhuvana, Robert, Ben

We started with the switch grip, but I don't think it lasted long in any of my rolls.  Pretty much everyone hid their hand as soon as we started.  I tried to get the kimura but couldn't set it up.  Mount was a little easier to achieve.  From the top Bhuvana was going for the north/south choke.  She didn't quite get passed my defense but she didn't get easily reversed either.  Robert gave me a hard time and was able to escape a couple times.  

Had a good roll with Ben.  Once I was in mount, I had my sights set on an S-Mount armbar.  I'd get under his shoulder and bring my foot under his other elbow, and begin to lean to bring my foot over and he would buck and center up.  I'd recover and maybe try something else but then come back to the S-Mount.  Finally he stuck his other arm out too far while bridging and we ended up in an inverted armbar position.  Not sure what I could have done differently to keep him from getting out of it or follow up technique that I should have went for.

Office Hours Partner: Robert

He drilled a half guard sweep a few times before we rolled a couple five minute rounds no-gi.  I ended up in deep half a lot when I was on the bottom.  I don't think he had me in a bad position too often.  He did catch an arm triangle in half guard and subbed me with that.  There was once or twice where he allowed me to sweep on purpose because he wanted to work on being on the bottom more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment