Wednesday, August 26, 2015

August 26th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Standing Guillotine Defense Against Wall to Neck Crank, Kneeling Guard Break, Double Under Pass
Partner: Ben

Just me and Ben today taking up all of the personal attention.  Part way through the floor exercises we decided instead of walking back to the other side of the room to start the next lap we would just turn around and continue.  This saved a lot of time, but damn if we weren't breathing a lot harder by the end without the walking rest breaks.

A couple bits of advice that I picked up on or seemed to help Ben were:
  • When putting your knee on the sit bone to the point of doing the guard break keep your thigh as vertical as possible to prevent them from riding up your leg.
  • It may feel stronger to grab higher up on the leg to break the guard but if you're elbow is not on the inside of their thigh or knee you may have a bad time.
  • The double under pass may seem more brute force than technical, but there is a technique to it.  Don't push forward from the start pull them back and up onto your legs.  Raise their hips up high enough so their legs can no longer affect your arms.

Rolling: Guard Position (4 x 3 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Ben


I did my best not to give anything up.  There were a couple close calls and Ben is no slouch.  I'm pretty happy with my closed guard game even though I haven't been working on it for a while.  Breaking the closed guard on the other hand seems like a lot of work to me right now, I'd rather they just opened their guard for me.

Probably the most frustrating thing during the free rolling was making it to mount and being unable to get through his defenses to get a submission.  This may be a turning point because I should be finding ways to make my opponent make mistakes for me to capitalize on.  Now I seem to depend on them making mistakes on their own to a certain degree. 

Worked a bit on the uchi mata.  I'm hopefully going to get some reps in with every class if I can find a willing partner.  Right now I'm working on getting my feet in the right place.  It seems difficult to do with slow fit-ins. 




No comments:

Post a Comment