Wednesday, August 19, 2015

August 19th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Gueruma, Side Control Tripod Escape, Side Control Kimura
Partner: Alejandro

Not too much to report on the technique side of things.  I got to work with Alejandro which is always a pleasure.  There were a couple times where we didn't quite stick to the techniques that we were working on and went to some different guards or submissions.  He was pretty light and gentle with the kimura and didn't ever take it all the way to the tap. 

Rolling: Side Control (6 x 2 min), Free Rolling (4 min)
Rolled With: Alejandro, Fuji, Greg, Tom, Casey

Alejandro started out with the switch grip side control but modified it a bit to include an oil check.  That was a little uncomfortable but I fought through it.  He submitted me once with an armlock but I don't remember which one.  From the top I don't remember doing much.  Fuji and I were both able to regain guard on the other.  This hardly ever happens for me, so it's worth mentioning. 


I regained guard on Greg!  I believe he was stepping over into amount and I caught his leg with a butterfly hook.  I was able to sweep but as I came up I got a knee to the chin for all of my hard work.  He played it off like it was an accident but I know better.  Just kidding, he felt pretty bad about it.  Luckily the mouthpiece saved the day again.  From the top he regained guard quite easily but I don't remember much else.

Had some good rolls with Tom and Casey.  My latest goal during rolling is to focus on guard retention and not letting anyone pass.  After that I focused on controlling from side control trying to emulate the way Alejandro does it.  I attempted the kimura that we worked on a couple times, I wasn't able to complete any but I ended up with an armbar and a north/south choke.  I also played around with the double lapel backtake from north/south with very little success with various people today. 

Office Hours Partner: Tom

Rolled with Tom a couple times after class.  I ended up tricking him into the NS choke again.  So we went over some defenses for it.  I also went over some guard playing and passing strategies that I use when starting a roll.  He seemed to appreciate it and he may turn into my regular Wednesday office hours partner since I don't really have one right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment