Saturday, August 15, 2015

August 15th 2015 - Kids & Open Mat

Kids Class Technique: Half Guard Pass to Mount 

Rolling/Game: Half Guard Position, Crab Walk Soccer

I helped teach today and there was only 1 child in the younger kids class.  My boys helped with a couple of the games and the technique.  We played some foot tag and flag tag and had fun.  From there Greg showed them the arm drag to help with flag tag. 

For the bigger kids class Jayden had some trouble getting motivated and skipped a lot of the warm-up.  They both did well with the technique although had their silly moments.  They're getting a lot better at starting from half guard and knowing automatically what side to be on. 

Rolling together was pretty good, but close to the end that had a bigger kid added to their group and he was able to sweep them with some brute force.  Hopefully they took that as a lesson for next time to be a little more stable and get the crossface or underhook as soon as possible.  Crab walk soccer is incredibly difficult for an old guy like me.  We divided into teams and I saw some good team work with everyone passing to each other.

Open Mat
Rolled With: Henry, Jerad, Tyler, Alejandro, Adam


Tough day of rolling.  My kids came with me so I cut the session short and tried to get in as many rolls as I could.

Henry: I'm starting to see improvement from working on attacking the turtle and maintaining side control are starting to manifest.  I was able to prevent some of the things that he usually get's me with like going to turtle to escape side control and going for a single leg.  It's good to see drilling a deficiency paying off.

Jerad: I started out well and swept Jerad from deep half right into an over/under pass position.  He's been great at defending this lately so I tried to stay a step ahead and went right into a double unders pass.  It was going great until he got a hold of my elbow and countered that back to a butterfly guard.  I don't remember how he swept me but I ended up in mount and defended that and back mount for quite some time until he submitted me with an armbar.

Tyler: He tried to barimbolo me a couple times and I went with it.  He was able to take my back and was actually pretty good at maintaining the position.  I eventually got free and passed him with over under pass.  After we rolled I showed him the defense for the over/under.  I took his back a couple times as well and he defended well.  He's no slouch. 

Alejandro: Rolled with him a couple times and didn't feel like I accomplished much.  When he started on the bottom he would always get the basic open guard position and he's quite good at it.  I didn't realize this was the position at first but we discussed how I should pass his guard and he showed me that my posture really needs a lot of work.  I'm leaning over too much with straight legs, where my butt really needs to be down.  He also commented that he enjoys the blog and looks forward to reading it.  Awesome.  Sometimes I'll go for a while without getting any feedback so I'm not sure who's reading it or who likes it.  Or, heaven forbid who dislikes it.

Adam: I had nothing for him today.  I was able to prevent one guard pass but on his second attempts he locked my leg down and was able to step around to side control.  There was no getting free after that, only defense.  He attacked a lot of brabo type chokes and I defended a few of them but eventually he did one with his own gi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment