Sunday, August 30, 2015

August 29th 2015 - Kids & Open Mat (North/South All Day)

Open Mat
Rolled With: Roland, Jerad, Henry, Adam, Tim, David, Austin
Game Plan: Look for Back Control, Attempting More Hip Escapes in Bottom Side

Had a lot of great rolls today and felt like I was on my game.  A couple things happened repeatedly, the north/south choke presented itself multiple times and I also found myself in unorthodox armbar positions from mount.  I won't go into too much detail with every roll, because with so many rolls I don't remember a lot or it all muddles together.

Roland: He's gained some skill since the last time we rolled.  He was a lot more difficult to push around. 

Jerad: Had a great couple matches.  I felt like I had some new answers for some of the things Jerad does to me on a regular basis.  I'm shrimping a lot more and attempting to bridge more.  I was able to pass his guard on our second roll and went from side control to the north/south lapels under armpits back take.  I made sure I got my bottom hook in and fell but I also should have secured my under hook on the opposite side because he was able to escape after that. 

Henry: Had an interesting exchange with him.  I feel like in general my dealing with wrestler types has improved.  I'm at least adjusting to the side control escape.  There was a point where I had his back and went for a bow and arrow, he was able to defend that but I moved to what could be called a side triangle that gave an option for an armbar.

Adam: We started out with a battle from butterfly and half guard with him on bottom.  I surfed as much as I could and prevented a couple sweep attempts but eventually I ended up on the bottom.  My new side control escapes are still no up to par to escape his but I did see some things to improve on.  I believe he submitted me with an americana or kimura

Tim: He is here for school and did some MMA/BJJ in Minnesota.  We did no gi and he had some pretty good movement and defense. 

David: We also did no gi which we determined was a mistake soon after because we were slipping all over the place and not able to get a good hold on each other.  We started off pretty slow in my full guard and we kind of felt each other out with neither of us wanting to make mistakes.  I ended up in an armbar position with him, but had a hell of a time trying to get his arms apart.  I ended up in a triangle position still trying to go for the armbar.  I couldn't get the arm free or finish the triangle, although after we finished the roll he said I was very close to finishing the triangle.  

Austin: Our roll was over fairly quickly if I remember correctly.  Nothing really sticks out as being notable.

I tried to help Alejandro with some standup practice but was pretty tired out by that time.  Had a good discussion with Ray about Uchi Mata, it's good to have him back.

No comments:

Post a Comment