Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 2 of Project Mayhem (formerly Project Freedom)

I finally figured it out with my work to leave early every Thursday so I can go to Jiu-Jitsu.  I was getting tired of having to ask every week.

Conan was there this week.  We started off with some tough partner drills of carrying each other, dragging each other, partner assisted situps, and four person pushups (just like in the Marines).  I'm usually okay with these since I seem to consistently be the heaviest at 210.  Then we did a drill where we made 2 rows facing each other and would pretty much crowd surf a person laying flat from one end to the other.  Pretty fun but tough.  I didn't have to surf though.

Focus of class started out as getting someone rolled over from the turtle position.  We worked on quite a few techniques from this position that I didn't know.  We eventually went into the twister.  I was having the same problems that I usually do with this technique.  When I try to triangle their leg I can never get above their knee.  I was told to wait to hook up the triangle until getting into the truck which helped.  The wrestlers seem to really do this technique well as it is also a wrestling technique but called the guillotine.

During open mat I started out with Sara.  I was really impressed by her mobility.  She always seemed to know the right way to escape and do it automatically and quickly.  I tried my best to not use strength and she tapped me out with an armbar.

I rolled with Conan next with the same results as usual.  He lets me get into side control.  He moves slow and methodical and for some reason I lose my balance and fall to my side on my butt.  How does he do that?  I'm in side control I shouldn't be falling over.  He does a few things and lets me know that he could be submitting me. He got me into half guard and I was able to pass back to side control.  Eventually he tapped me but I don't remember how.  It's not really important I guess.

After we bowed out I rolled with Ken and he was tough as usual.  There was a point when I felt fatigued and thought maybe I'll never be good at this.  I shook it off and continued but it bothered me a little bit.  He eventually got me to tap in an Americana.

Judo started soon after.  Sensei Beggs was the instructor.  It was me, Ken, a black belt named David (I think), and a couple of younger boys.  After a warm-up of falling and rolls we got some big rubber band type things and practiced the throw motion with the other person holding the band.

After that Sensei Beggs had me demonstrate some throws on Ken to see what I knew.  He corrected some habits that I had that were different than Judo and gave me some other pointers.  It was very interesting and I was happy to receive a few compliments on my throwing from Sensei Beggs.  It gave me some new perspectives on throwing.  There was some talk about Judo rules and the names of techniques in Japanese.  I also found this interesting but my primary reason for learning throws is for self defense and I'll probably never compete in a tournament so knowing what is legal or not is not too important to me.  Before we quit Ken threw me several times and then we worked on some kazushi (sp?).  All in all a good experience.

I was seriously wiped out when I got home last night.  My whole body ached.  I was thinking about not doing anything today but after a comment from Ken about my enthusiasm on my last post I suppose I'll go to TKD tonight.  However, I do need to mow my lawn within the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment