Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm Crushed

Horrible weather on the way to class last night.  I was hoping it wasn't bad enough that class would be cancelled.  Class seemed to go by rather quickly.  Greg taught and the focus of class was on guard passes mostly using a grip on the gi and the pants or sleeve.  This was a technique that I hadn't worked on before.

I was partners with Fuji pretty much the whole time.  We were having a little trouble due to the size disparity but we made it work.  I couldn't get my legs all the way around him and it was pretty easy for both of us to pass.  While I like to work with Fuji as he has some good pointers and can make the exercises more challenging, I'm not sure if I got the most out of this class.  It seems kind of silly but I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings or sound like I'm complaining by asking to switch partners.

Before open mat we did some 3 minute live drills of trying to pass guard or submit/sweep from guard.  Ken passed me several times when I was on bottom.  Then I was in Brian's guard and I couldn't get his long legs apart (very frustrating).  I think he got me in a triangle in the end.

For open mat I rolled with Ken.  At one point I had him in the halfguard lockdown pretty good but couldn't get low enough to do the sweep that I wanted.  He eventually mounted me and crushed the life out of me.  The muscles under my ribs started to hurt making it hard to breath.  I eventually got out of mount and into side control and kept trying to shrimp.  He got me in some kind of americana variation.  After we were done, I was having a really hard time catching my breath as my muscles under my ribs were really tense.  After a little while I was okay though.

I then rolled with David.  I don't remember the details too well except he mounted me too.  I didn't get the side pain again though.  Eventually he put me into a triangle from mount and rolled over to get it from guard.  I'm getting better at keeping my posture from here instead of trying to stack the triangle like I have been.

4 comments:

  1. "It seems kind of silly but I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings or sound like I'm complaining by asking to switch partners."

    I can empathize with you. When I first started jiu-jitsu, I always ended up working with the same people (usually the boy) over and over again. That is part of the reason Conan started rotating partners like we do now. Which then made me feel like he was "forcing" people to work with me, but hey, it's better than just working with a 13 year old ALL the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I do like it that we switch partners regularly. Regardless of who I work with it's always good to switch it up and try the same techniques on people with different body types and skill level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's good for everyone to try things on many different people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry about your ribs,josh. if it makes you feel any better, i was punched really hard in the liver last night in sparring, and i was on my knees and gasping for air for a while. i really believe in karma.

    ReplyDelete