Friday, June 3, 2011

Day 3 of Project Mayhem

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to open mat today.  I went to Taekwondo class taught by Mr. Labadie at Chung do kwan at 6 pm instead.  My legs were still sore from Wednesday but once we did a little warmup and some stretching, my legs felt better.  We did a pretty good kicking drill where we did 30 kicks in a row of one kick on one side.  After each set of 10 we would pick up the pace and kick faster.  We ended up doing this with round, side and snap kick for a total of 180 kicks.  We did some bag drills up and down the floor and then some isometric roundhouse kicks by the count.  Then Mr. Labadie asked me to show teach some jointlocks.  I demonstrated a figure four lock that I've been working on that is a combination of pushover takedown and wrist throw.  It can also be reversed into armbar #2.

After class was over, I changed and got into the car.  My body felt full of energy and still ready to go.  I guess an hour class wasn't enough.  Considering that in Jiu-Jitsu after an hour class we start open mat sparring, this makes a lot of sense.  I ended up mowing my lawn which needed it really bad when I got home.

While mowing I contemplated a lot about Jiu-Jitsu and how I should go about getting better.  What is the best mindset to have while training?  What is the best way to internalize the techniques we learn in class?  Since I've started there haven't been too many techniques repeated from one class to the next.  While it is cool that Jiu-Jitsu is so expansive I find it difficult to figure out what things are important for me to work on to get better.

3 comments:

  1. it's all about patience and dedication, in my opinion. it will start getting easier with time. things will become automatic before you realize it. I think you missed a spot on the lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just learn as much as you can. What you are good at and your "game" will develop on it's own. When you find a weak spot (like can't sweep from guard for example) work on it. Learn a couple sweeps and have one primary and a "plan B". Keep it up. Good blog by the way. Keep that up too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ken and Jerad. I know it will come and I'll keep trying. I've already seen improvment. I just like to overthink things and complain.

    ReplyDelete