Tuesday, June 28, 2011

June 27th Gi - Coke withdrawal

 I decided to quit drinking pop.  At work a can of Coke is only 25 cents.  I've been feeling pretty tired at work the past two days and the urge to break down and get a Coke has been massive.

Before class Ken worked with me on the foot sweep.  I'll have to practice it more but he really helped with the kazushi part of it. 

Greg was our teacher last night and put on a pretty good class.  It was a pretty large class with a couple of new people which was nice to see. Our main focus was side mount escapes and after some exhausting animal walking we did a tripod drill.  The remainder of the class we spent with partners doing side control escapes one of them using the tripod.

We then did a drill where our partner would give us one or the other escape and we had to decided which one to take.  And finally the partner on top gave full resistance from sidemount.

Because of the good feedback Greg received from the 4 position drill we did on Sunday, he decided to have us do it last night as well.  It wasn't any easier, especially when I also did this same drill in my Hapkido class that morning.  Ken was my partner for this drill and we both worked pretty hard.  He really impressed me with his bucking and escape ability.  I guess I just have to work harder.

This was the first time I questioned whether I wanted to do open mat.  But, of course I did.  I rolled with Blain or Brian I can't remember his name but he's a tall white belt.  He's only been there for 6 months but he was still able to kick my butt.  He got me in an armbar and then the second time he let me submit him in an armbar.

After that I got a headache.  I'm not sure if it was from lack of caffeine or being dehydrated or what, I kind of had neck pains too.  It didn't matter I still rolled with Ken.  We had a pretty good roll.  There was one point when I kind of gave up because he got me in a bad position.  Ken wouldn't accept that and he had me work my way out of it, however I couldn't hear him give me advice because his legs were around my head.

I've got to find some kind of supplement for after class.  I'm very drained, achy, and a little loopy.  Let me know if anyone has any suggestions for recovery after class.  I usually do a Gatorade and banana and water.

3 comments:

  1. I was very tempted to use an 'Airplane' reference here, but I think you already know you picked a bad day to stop coke.

    As far as a post class supplement, what you are doing is about as good as you can do. Maybe a little protein would be helpful too. Even a young one like myself is drained and achy well after class is over. It just means you put all your energy into getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm a jiu-jitsu addict, because when I first read the title of this post I thought it said "choke withdrawal" ;)

    I think feeling drained, achy, and loopy after class is normal. The most important thing is to stay well hydrated, especially in this hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Choke withdrawal makes since since it follows the word "Gi -"

    Thanks David and Gina. Yesterday was really hot!

    ReplyDelete