Friday, July 1, 2011

June 30th Gi - Sweat Lodge

It was damn hot in the dojo yesterday.  We were so hot that no one talked before class everyone kind of sat and stretched.  Greg attempted to be easier on us at the beginning of class but we still did a lot of floor drills with shrimping etc.

Our focus of the day was backmount.  We first did defense by bridging and crawling up out opponent and going to one side and then getting into their guard.  It was a pretty cool escape that I hadn't done before, at least I hadn't thought to emphasize crawling up their body so much.

We then worked on chokes with the gi collar and we worked on my new favorite choke, the Bow and Arrow choke. After drilling those several times we got with partners and did 3 minutes each of defending or attacking from the back.

Sensei Beggs took over for the Judo portion of the class.  We ended up talking more about chokes rather than doing throws.  He went into some of the things to watch out for when choking someone which was good info.  I'm sure Ray was getting tired of being choked on since Greg used him for demonstration as well as Beggs.We did an x-collar choke from the guard.  Time was short and that was pretty much all we did.

I rolled with Mark. We seem to be pretty even matched.  I had him in a Kimura but ended up not having enough leverage to finish it.  He said he was almost going to tap before I let go (good to know).  I rolled with Ray several times after that.  At first Ray was working on his spider guard and I offered little resistance for him.  The last time we grappled we had a good scramble where I ended up taking his back.  I eventually made a mistake though and ended up in side control and I was squished again.

My Gi was sopping wet when I left.  I was a little loopy again and might have been questionable if I should drive home.  I wasn't going to pass out or anything I just felt really slow and sluggish.  I didn't feel like eating dinner when I got home, I had a big glass of chocolate milk, some gatorade, and then water.  I ate a little bit but not much.

3 comments:

  1. some people spend thousands of dollars for a sweatlodge experience like the one you had,josh. were you lucky enough to have a hallucination? i'm usually visited by Ronald the talking golden fox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does Ronald say to you, Ken? Does he speak in Samuel L Jackson's voice and say, "Go the f*@# to sleep?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. he doesn't say much. he just laughs maniacally like a loon.

    ReplyDelete