Friday, July 15, 2011

July 14th Gi

It was a pretty rough class.  I went into it already a little tired and it was hot and humid.  Greg and Conan were both in class today with Greg teaching.  I think because he got dressed first.  I'm interested to see how this will play out.

Our focus of class was a straight footlock.  Getting it and defending against it.  I ended up working with a new guy, Eric, from Sioux falls that has about 6 months experience.  He was a little bit bigger than me and it was nice to work with him.  Since he wasn't really versed in foot locks I would have liked to have someone tell me what I could do better.  We still did a lot of reps and he was a good partner.

At the end we did a drill where we tried to break out of guard for 3 minutes.  I had some trouble with Eric as his long legs were preventing me.  I need to figure out that whole guard break thing.

Sensei Beggs had us work on the neck/hip throw again and a combination to another throw.  I ended working with Eric for that too.  I'm feeling a little better about this throw but it's still difficult to not load the person onto my hips.

After bow out David and I rolled.  We started from standing and Conan said he would be my coach.  David got a hold of one of my legs and I was able to sprawl and get it free.  I then went for a darce but he powered out of it.  From here Conan started telling me what to do because David was working hard to put me in his guard.  I realize now that it's hard work being coached, mostly because I don't want to let my coach down.  When Conan was telling me to push his legs down and not let him lock up his guard I felt like if I had let him I wasn't trying as hard as I could and Conan would know.  I did end up back in side mount and right when I did Conan had to leave to talk to a new student.

I didn't feel like I could do anything to David from side mount.  He wouldn't let me move any of his arms and my balance was constantly being checked.  Eventually he got me in mount and put pressure on me, then he tried to put on an americana and I was able to roll him over into his guard.  I got free of one thing to put myself in another because he put me into a triangle as quickly as he could.  I even had a hand in for a little bit, but it was tight and I had to tap.  Even though I was dominated I feel like I've improved quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment