Monday, July 25, 2011

First Tournament - Cornhusker State Games 2011

I had quite a day yesterday.  I got up at 6:30 which wasn't difficult since I've been an early riser lately.  I got my bag together and some beverages and snacks for the day.  I wanted to be to the weigh ins early to I could start drinking water again.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't overweight (didn't really end up mattering).  I got there a little before 8 and there was maybe 15 people walking around doing various things with computers and setting up.  I weighed in at 209 which was 5 lbs less than Friday morning at the YMCA.  I started hydrating and had some fruit.  Finally the place started to get crowded around 9:30.

Around 10ish we got together for a rules meeting which was mostly the stuff I knew already from the past week's classes.  Some people asked some silly questions to make it go a little longer than it needed to but that was okay.

Then the fun began.  They started calling up all of the people that weren't matched with a good division by weight and rank and tried to put them into groups.  This took quite a while to get sorted out and I think they probably could have started the kids matches just to get something going, but I really don't know what was going on.  After the front table started to clear out I noticed that I was one of the first on the board to fight with a guy named Terrance (who I later found out was pretty cool).  However, I was soon put into another division with guys from my school.  Chris and Bauer are both guys from my school and their both beasts.  I was a little worried but I didn't really care I just wanted to go at this point.

I fought Chris first.  He pretty much dominated me from top position and then ended up submitting me with an arm triangle.  You can see the video below.

Chris and Bauer fought and Chris won again although I don't remember how and I should have had my dad record it.  After a trip to the desk again because they mixed us up I was put up against Bauer.  He and I went the distance.  From standing I tried a couple of wristlocks and then eventually we went down and I reversed and got on top in like a guillotine.  I stayed on top for a while but was eventually reversed and put on the bottom.  Apparently I was still ahead in points until 10 seconds at the very end where he worked really hard for mount.  I had no idea and didn't think to check the clock or the score.  So I lost by points to Bauer.  He and Chris went again and Chris won again.  Next tournament I'm going to record more of our guys' matches, I feel kind of bad that I didn't.  I took bronze in that division.

It ended up that the other no-gi division that I was originally in was still going to happen.  It was me and 2 other guys, Terrance and Chad I think.  Here is where Ray stepped in to be me coach and really helped me out.  Terrance was a lot taller than me and was able to keep me away from him.  I pretty much dominated them both from mount and side control once I got them down.  I submitted Terrance with a arm triangle and Chad with an armbar and won gold in that division.  Unfortunately I don't have the video of the second fight.

For my Gi match Terrance was the only one in my division.  He seemed a little bit more aggressive with the gi on and pulled guard really quickly in our first match, while I attempted a pass he got me on my back but I was able to regain guard.  He committed a no no though from my guard when he tried to cross choke me by straightening his arms and allowing me to armbar him.  Our second match I tried a shoulder throw but he ended up taking me down.  Eventually I got to side mount and put him into a darce choke.  I was a little worried about him after that because he just laid there like he was in pain.  I'm not sure if he went out or what.  Later he told me his neck was hurt a little bit.  Gold medal number 2.

While I wanted to stay it was getting pretty late in the day for me.  I know Ken had showed up to fight but didn't get  to because he had to go to work later.  I heard some other complaints about the disorganization and the computer bracket problems.  Personally I had a lot of fun and was able to test myself and get a feel for where I'm at.  I'll definitely compete again in the future.  Bauer and I might be a good match-up for a while to come.  I need to grow some muscle though.

I'd like to thank everyone at Roseberry's for helping me along, it's been quite an experience so far and I can see myself doing this for a long time to come.

 

1 comment: