Friday, July 8, 2011

July 7th Gi

Greg was our instructor.  We had a decent warmup with animal walking and some ab exercises.  We also did some neck exercises that I might add to my routine.

The main focus of class was the triangle choke.  We worked it from several setups.  I got some good pointers on how to do it better with my short legs by bridging more.  I really liked the setups and hopefully I'll be able to practice them more tomorrow.

Sensei Beggs had us do a Neck/Hip throw.  It was a little hard for many of us to get because we weren't trying to load the person up onto our hips but rather just wanted to trip them across our leg.  I got it a couple of times.  It was cool to work with Adam on this because of his size and we seemed to get to do more reps than everyone else that was using the crash mats.

We didn't have much time for open mat after this.  I rolled with Ken and 5 seconds into it one of my fingernails ripped off.  I made sure it wasn't bleeding too bad and we continued.  I was inspired by a few things.  I didn't get as frustrated when I was in side mount I tried to just keep working and felt more confident that I would get out of it.  It seemed to work better to be more relaxed.  I almost thought I was going to submit him with a darce choke but he eventually wiggled himself free.  In the end he got me with an Americana but I felt pretty good about it.  I told him thanks for being easy on me but he shrugged it off and said that he wasn't and I was doing better.  My finger started to hurt after it was over and I decided not to pursue another roll and head home.

1 comment:

  1. your open guard was working for you. that darce had me worried for a little bit. i'm seeing an improvement from the last time we rolled.

    ReplyDelete