Friday, October 14, 2011

October 13th - Gi

Ray taught class yesterday and it was nice to have a change in the warm-up.  We did some reps of takedowns and throws which I always enjoy working on.  The theme of the class was the anaconda choke and we did it from a couple of ways and then practiced some Darce chokes.  One thing I have a problem with is doing the darce from half guard with the guys arm in an underhook.  It's pretty difficult for me to hook it up.  We finished with the position drill for 1 minute instead of the usual 2.  I worked with a guy named Tim who had some issues with stamina/not puking.  He was doing pretty good holding me from side control but after that he had to sit out a couple of times.  Seemed like a pretty decent guy hopefully he sticks around.  One thing that is a kind of pet peeve of mine is when people reek of cigarette smoke when I'm rolling with them.  Yuck.

During the Judo portion of class Sensei Beggs had us work on grabs.  Starting off with a grabbing belt kind of game and then grabbing the collar and then throwing with a shoulder throw or osoto gari.

During open mat, I rolled with David.  I had a few good moves where I rolled him out of side control.  I also had him in spider guard for like 10 seconds but didn't know what to do with it.  He eventually got me in an inverted armbar and we went over how I could have prevented it better.

I rolled with Will next who I don't roll with that often.  It amazes me how we have like 4 or 5 purple belts and they each have their own different style that works for them.  I'm assuming it has to do with body type, personal preferences, and countering the other purple belts' skills.  Will took control fairly quickly and as I passed at one point I didn't keep the underhook like I should have and he almost had my back.  Eventually I ended up in half guard and I was able to pull off my half guard sweep, but he was able to get his knee free during that and I wasn't able to pass.  I eventually ended up in turtle position and he caught me in an armbar from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment