Saturday, October 1, 2011

September 30th - Open Mat

I had to hurry to reach the dojo by 5:05 yesterday. 

There was about 3 groups of people rolling when I got there.  I rolled with Jerad first.  It lasted longer than usual and I sensed that I might have frustrated him a little bit somewhere during our scrambles.  That could just be in my head though.  One thing that I did that I'm pretty proud of was when he was just about to pass my guard and instead of just laying my back down and accepting side control I rolled over to turtle and then to half guard.  So often I think I just accept that my guard is going to be passed and I just kind of fall into it.  However, when I was on top in side control I felt like I didn't have very many options.  Every move I made it seemed like he knew what I was going to try and then he took it away.  Then when I thought I had an arm triangle he rolled me over because my center was too high.  In the end he got me in a wrist lock from side control against his body that seemed very smooth, but he said that he just kind of fell into it.

I rolled with Ken next and we started standing up.  Ken's ability to weave his legs and come up with different half guard positions is impressive and annoying.  That's something I have to get better at too.  I was able to get the half guard sweep on him which has been pretty high percentage for me lately, which makes me think it's something I should cultivate and focus on this month.  He finally submitted me when I was trying to pass his guard I believe and I ended up with his legs up around my chest.  I thought I was in an okay position to get free and stack but he worked a triangle out of it.  After that we sort of rolled but also worked on some wristlocks from the guard like the gooseneck.

No comments:

Post a Comment