Friday, October 7, 2011

October 6th - Gi Class

Conan was instructing and he asked me what I wanted to work on again.  I couldn't really think of anything off hand so I chose what to do when you have back mount besides the rear naked choke.

We started with armbar.  One key thing that I wasn't doing previously with this technique was clasping my hands and framing their neck until you can get your leg around their head.  I used to just get the underhook and try to throw my leg over their head.  Usually I couldn't get my leg around and they would turn into me and stack me.

Next we worked on going with the flow like when someone tries to roll over or escape not to hold them too tight but to let them move and move with them.  We also did some with the hooks under their legs to control that way.

Next we went to twister entries starting from the back.  We also did the Twister from side control and turtle position.  Then we did some of the other finishes like crotch ripper and calf crushes.

For open mat I rolled with Ken a couple of times.  We did some stand up Randori first.  I didn't feel very good about it because I couldn't get any throws to work.  Just have to keep working on it.  I didn't feel good about my ground fighting either with Ken.  There were a couple of times where he told me how to get out of something.  While this is helpful it's also a little frustrating.  I'd kind of rather have him submit me instead of helping me reverse him or get to a submission of my own.

Next time I'm asked what I want to do for class I'm going to pick the bottom from the turtle position.  I'm not really sure what I should be doing there when I get there.

1 comment:

  1. we can work on throws whenever you want. maybe, do a little before class on Monday and later during open mat? ichikomi's are so important. i don't get enough in with the regular judo class.

    ReplyDelete