Tuesday, March 20, 2012

March 19th - Gi (The Return)

I'm back from a great 7 day vacation cruise in the Caribbean with my wife.  It was a great get away and refreshing both mentally and physically.  I ate a lot of good food, did some snorkeling, walking, took some tours, and a lot of pictures.  All of my injuries are much better and I'm ready to get some serious training in.  I plan to start swimming again and possibly start lifting weights. 

Greg taught class yesterday and we focused on the over/under pass throughout the whole class.  It was warranted since the technique has a lot of little details to make it work.  After drilling the technique several times we did some live training and started from a half butterfly and work for the sweep.  That was very difficult, but good training.

Before leaving Greg told me and Fuji to work on this pass a lot because it's excellent for bigger guys.  So I have added this, my failed triangle recovery, and the other guard pass using the double lapel grip.

I rolled with Ken for open mat.  It turned out to be a lively match.  I felt pretty loose and relaxed which was good.  I don't think I ever got Ken in a bad spot, he's becoming exceedingly difficult for me to pass and we spent most of the time in kind of an open guard leg tangle.  I had his back at one time but I accidentally slumped off and ended up in guard.  From there I wasn't able to get off my back again.  There were some opportunities but I didn't take advantage of them like I should have.  In the end he got me with an armbar.

No comments:

Post a Comment