Tuesday, March 27, 2012

March 26th - Gi

It started out as a pretty small class yesterday with Greg teaching.  However, some stragglers came in as time went by.  I was partnered with Adam as we worked on one technique throughout the entire class.  It was the sweep from reverse dlr in combat base where you push their arm between their legs get under them and then kick them over to side control...sorta thing.  I feel a lot more comfortable with this technique but still have a little way to go before I can use it.

We then partnered up and went 2 minute rounds with sweep or guard pass training starting from open guard with hands on sleeves.  It was good training and we all partnered with everyone top and bottom.  At this time there were 8 of us so I went up against 7 people for 4 minutes each for a whopping total of 28 minutes with limited rest in between.

I made lots of attempts at the over-under pass.  I'm seeing more and more times to try it.  I'm still having a problem getting the leg over their leg though. I also attempted lasso spider guard quite a bit which went okay sometimes and sometimes not.

I spoke with Josh a bit after class, he was talking about going to Mid-America for Jiu-Jitsu instead of Roseberry's.  Some of what he described about the class intrigued me.  I've had thoughts about checking it out, but I haven't seriously considered leaving Roseberry's to go elsewhere but there would be some positives in changing.  There are some really great people that I train with now, just the schedule and location are probably the biggest downsides.

I believe Jerad was the only one I rolled with yesterday.  Even though I lost it went well.  We were in a scramble at one point and I grabbed the cross sleeve grip and underhooked his leg, then pushed up into the omma-platta, I didn't get the submission but the sweep and ended up in mount.  I spent some time in mount but couldn't successfully make anything happen.  I was going for the Ezekiel or the guillotine from mount.  I wanted to move up high on him but I didn't feel confident in keeping the position.  He eventually rolled me over I attempted a triangle but failed.  He had me in side control and then knee on belly.  I made the mistake of turning the wrong way and then realized he was positioning my collar to do a bow and arrow choke.  We went over some ways to move up in mount which was helpful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment