Friday, March 30, 2012

March 29th - Gi (Signs of Progress)

Great class yesterday taught by Conan.  We went on more of the Kimura but from side control this time instead of guard.  I had done most of this before but one thing that sticks out in my head was when I worked with will on stepping over someone's head.  Although I was giving him some resistance he did an excellent job of getting my arm out of the way to step over.  I'm not quite sure of everything that he was doing but it really surprised me.  I think I was under the impression that this technique was primarily a strength technique.  But, the way Will did it was very smooth.  And I started to get an idea of what he was doing but I'll have to practice it more.

During open mat I rolled with Jerad first.  This is probably the first time the over-under pass worked for me while rolling except I didn't complete it properly.  I went around the leg on the shoulder instead of over the other leg.  So I had side control for a while but wasn't able to make anything happen beyond that.  He soon regained guard and swept me.  He went to knee on belly and I screwed up again.  I knew what he was going for but I wasn't able to stop it.  Bow and arrow again.

I rolled with David next but we didn't get to finish.  I tried a armdrag type movement that Josh showed me and got half way there.  I was kind of on his side but couldn't find the leverage to take his back completely.  I moved to guard and took a overhook and grabbed his lapel.  I tried some things like setting up his other arm for a triangle and then started to move to an omma-plata.  He wasn't having any of it but he did mention that the overhook was annoying.  I was in half guard for a little bit but then regained full guard.  I tried to do some collar chokes and he tried to ram his head into me.  Conan started counting down to when we would have to bow out and we scrambled to try to make something happen but we were stalemated. Maybe since he's not my main nemesis anymore he didn't try as hard as usual.

Before leaving the dojo Jerad made a comment that even though Bauer is much stronger and is a little heavier than me I feel heavier and stronger when we roll.  I'll take that as a sign of progress, still I wouldn't mind being built like Bauer!

No comments:

Post a Comment