Friday, March 2, 2012

March 1st - Gi

Ray taught class yesterday and the theme was some judo throws for when your opponent is keeping you out at arms length.  We did 50 fit ins in a row first as kind of a warmup and then we worked with our partner with our favorite throw for real 20 times.  Ray had us all work on a shoulder throw where we dropped to our knees between the opponent's legs.  Then osotto gari and finally a throw where you grab both of their knees and they kind of sit on your knee as you take them backwards.  We did that last one on the crash pads.  My back was on and off bugging me during this, it was always in my mind so I know I was a little slower and a little more cautious while throwing and being thrown.

We did a group kind of open mat where the higher level belts took a corner and we started in guard and fought for 4 minutes or so.  I didn't do so well against Fuji, once I screwed up and let him get on top of me he became the unmovable object.  While he didn't submit me in the time limit I definitely wasn't scoring any points.

I rolled with Mike next and there was some good and bad.  He put me in a triangle but with some work I was able to get out of by keeping a lot of space, if we had been the same size I'm sure he could have gotten me.  I don't believe anyone tapped in that match either.

Ray was my final match and I think he was being easy on me because I got some things that I don't normally get on him.  Although he did tap me out first.  I had him in X-guard and did the basic sweep but was unable to get my leg free in time to come up with it.  At the end I did kind of a de la rivas back take but was unable to control him and we just ended up in guard but it was looking really good until then.

Now with kids Judo directly after our class at 5:30 I leave Jiu-Jitsu kind of unfulfilled because I don't feel like I get enough open mat time in.  I might have to start trying to make it to Fridays more once my back is 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment