Saturday, December 12, 2015

December 12th 2015 - All School Training and Belt Promotions

As is our tradition at LBJJC we have a an all school training before belt promotions twice a year. Each time it becomes more and more crowded which is a good problem for us to have.


My boys tested earlier in the day and I'm very proud of how they did. Our practice really paid off leading up to this because they looked good with all of the techniques on the curriculum.  During the promotion they were promoted to solid grey belt.

I received my forth stripe on my blue belt putting me in line to get purple belt next.  I feel like I've made the most progress working up to this particular stripe vs the previous ones. It may feel that way at every stripe but I had some major improvements working up to the tournament.

During the training, Greg gave each teacher 15 minutes to teach a sweep and have everyone drill it.  Greg taught a half guard sweep, Conan taught a overhook guard pass, and Mike taught what looked like a de la riva spider guard ankle grab sweep.  I chose my bread and butter, the omoplata from cross guard.  I went through it pretty quickly and didn't necessarily get all of the details across that I wanted to, but it seemed like everyone was able to complete it in the end.

During up/down/out later I saw a few people attempt it and a few even complete it. Phil was about to get his guard passed with the standing guard break and he pulled it off. I let him know that he made my day!

The kids alternated between doing techniques and playing games like foot tag and sumo and seemed to have a good time.

Unfortunately I didn't get to train much but I got some satisfaction out of helping everyone.  Hopefully I've also planted some cross guard seeds and I'll be able to share some of that with others.

I had the honor of standing up front while stripes and belts were handed out.  Very cool!  Jerad, Mike, and Adam received their purple belts and Mo, Darijo, Brian G, Phil, John, and Justin received blue belts.  A great day for our school and shows how much we're growing.














No comments:

Post a Comment