Thursday, December 17, 2015

December 17th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Standing Guillotine Defense, Half Guard with Underhook: Back Take, Guard Recovery
Partner: Byrav

Worked with Bhuvana's husband today who is pretty fresh into the sport right now.  He did great of course but it was really noticeable to me how much work I had to put in to explain everything.  We just don't have similar reference points at the moment.  The great part is though that I will get to see him improve within the next couple of months from not being able to keep himself from falling over in half guard to hopefully understanding some positions and having a little defense.  By the end of the session he was getting the techniques down of course.

Rolling: Half Guard (4 x 3 min), Free Rolling (2 x 4 min)
Rolled With: Byrav, Ben, Harvey

Like usual whenever I roll with someone new, I'll try to complete the techniques that we worked on in class as efficiently and smoothly as possible to show that it can be done.  Then after a couple times of that I'll walk them through things they could do to defend it with a little more resistance than we used during drilling.  Seems to be working for me so far.

I can count on Ben and Harvey to give me a little more muscle.  Ben appears to be challenging himself in that he sat to guard when we did free rolling.  Usually he'll take the top position.  He did a good job with hand fighting and preventing some of the grips that I wanted.  I see some improvement.  Harvey is returning after taking some time off.  He may be a little rusty but still has some skill and was aggressive but with decent control.  Good to see him back at it.




No comments:

Post a Comment