Thursday, December 3, 2015

December 3rd 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Technical Stand-up, Hip Bump Sweep, Kimura
Partner: Dave

Good to work with Dave today, he looks a little more rugged after not shaving for a while.  He seemed to figure a few things out with the sweep as we went and was appreciative for the help.  I worked on the cross guard to hip bump setup after drilling the regular way a few times and it felt like a good transition when my omoplata doesn't work.  Here are some tips for this weeks techniques:
  • Technical Standup: Be ready to fall back down to your side if they start to rush you as you are getting up.  Learn to figure out what is the optimal space needed to allow you to get up with the stand-up.
  • Hip Bump Sweep: On your own you can work on getting from your back up to your hand and scooting your butt back as efficiently as possible.  The smoother you can make this the more you can focus on the timing of "when" to attempt the sweep.
  • Kimura: A detail that Greg has been saying recently is either new or I wasn't paying attention before.  After getting the kimura grip while falling back you want to throw your shoulder and kind of jump off at an angle.  I think this does a couple things by keeping their weight off of you and probably preventing them from grabbing clothing to prevent the kimura.
Rolling: Guard (4 x 3 min)
Rolled With: Dave, Ben

Greg wanted me to limit my rolling so I sat out of the free rolling but did some positional sparring.  Not much to say about rolling, things are going pretty well for me right now and the focus on training is really showing.  I feel ready for the tournament and I'm glad that I decided to do it.  However it turns out I feel like I've jumped in skill and improved on things that I've been needing to focus on. 




No comments:

Post a Comment