Wednesday, December 9, 2015

December 9th 2015 - Gi All Levels

Theme & Techniques: Koshi Guruma, Standing Guard Break, Toreando Pass, Over/Under Pass
Students: Alejandro, Jordan, Ben, Mike G, Mike A

Good group of guys today, good to see Mike G back.  It was my day to teach and decided to follow what Mike does a bit sometimes and did some grip fighting and takedown fitins.  It was a pretty good workout in and of itself.

The biggest advice I can give on the standing guard break is that posture is very important.  I time my step up with putting their hand into their hip.  Then when grabbing the other sleeve I stand way up.  After that I start to bring it down.  I don't grab the pants yet but catch the knee and take little steps back.  During the toreando I try to not have my butt up in the air at all and bend at the knees more.

The guys there had all done the standing guard break and toreando pass many times so we had some extra time and I showed the Over/Under Pass.  After some individual help everyone seemed to understand it pretty well.

Rolling: Guard KOTM
Rolled With: Alejandro, Jordan, Ben, Mike G, Mike A

Sure Alejandro and Mike were able to sweep me, but my roll with Jordan probably stood out the most.  He was on top and relentless with trying to pass.  He prevented a lot of my sweep attempts and from me getting the position that I wanted.  We went back and forth a couple times but in the end he was able to pass my guard.  Great job Jordan but know that I'll work to make it more difficult next time.

Mike and I talked about deep half a bit after class and said that I need to off balance more and not to expect to have a black belt level deep half now and make it look a little dirty for now.  I think he's right because I'm currently expecting to do the techniques perfectly that I've been practicing.






No comments:

Post a Comment