Wednesday, April 11, 2012

April 11th - Morning Open

Had a big group of 6 today: Myself, Ken, Erik, James, Robert, and Fuji.  Ken's cauliflower ear was bothering him so he didn't roll but we did some judo fitting in and throwing together.  I think I got equal rolling time with everyone else.

Ken and I worked on the neck hip throw and Soto Makikomi using the side stance in no gi.  We also worked on the dropping shoulder throw.  Felt pretty good about them, but I seem to get tired a lot quicker doing throws.

Two things of note this morning. While rolling with Robert I was getting punished whenever I got to turtle position.  He made the comment that I'm not committing on my shots and said that I should bring my knees up more and sit back on my feet to get more power.  I'm too extended.  So I will think about that next time I'm in that position.  I really need to figure out a way to get on top more.

The other note worthy part was a couple of compliments from James, he mentioned that since he took a break either I've gotten a lot better or he got a lot worse since he took a couple month break.  We agreed that it was probably a little bit of both.  I've always had a hard time accepting compliments or even acknowledging them especially when he still kicked my butt.  During our last match I could tell toward the end he was questing for an ankle lock.  I was thinking in my head "should I tell him I'm a yellow belt and not supposed to do them?"  I decided to let it go and see what happened.  He began to put me into a toe hold but I moved toward him and got out from between his legs.  I then saw the opportunity to do one to him and put it on, but he ended up rolling out of it but it freed up my leg in the process.  Later when I mentioned that I'm not supposed to do them yet he said that I was at blue belt skill wise anyway so not to worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment