Monday, April 16, 2012

April 13th - No-Gi Open Mat (Roll w/ Purpose)

Friday Open Mat:

Friday I hurried from work to class.  I'd like to make it every Friday but it get's difficult to ninja out of the office at a decent time.  Luckily there were still 6 or 7 people rolling.  I rolled with Ray, Jerad, and Mike.  Each were difficult to deal with in their own way.  Whenever I was on the bottom with Ray he would mess with my neck and spine to get me to move.  He submitted me twice.

I went with Jerad next.  The major thing I took away from that was when everyone was telling me to go to deep half guard and I wasn't able to do it.  After Jerad submitted me, Greg showed us all instead of pulling someone into deep half or x-guard to shrimp ourselves underneath the opponent.  It would have helped me get the position but I don't know much to do from deep half so I'm not sure how successful I would have been beyond that.

Finally I rolled with Mike and we had a great couple of rolls.  He got me with an armbar from the belly which was very impressive.  Most of the time we were fighting for position and me trying to pass his crazy guard.  I did have some success with a single leg towards the end but I still never got passed his guard.  We talked about his progress and what has been helping him get better so quickly.  He said that he's started "training with purpose" and using some ideas from a book that Greg lent him.  I may ask to borrow that book next.

No comments:

Post a Comment