Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 25th - Morning Open

Attendees: Ken, Robert, Erik, James

Wow, a good morning of grappling.  I didn't really think about it but James commented on how impressed he was since I went like 12 rounds and was always going.  With all of the Jiu-Jitsu and swimming I've been doing it seems like my cardio is finally picking up.  Ken and Erik used the time for boxing mostly so I didn't roll with either of them.  So, I took turns getting submitted by Robert and James.

We started from standing for most of the rounds so I got some wrestling practice in.  I didn't do well from standing but most of the time I ended up in guard or half guard when I was taken down.  They both gave me pointers and something that really stuck is that I need to keep my posture and lead more with my hips and break the plane between their feet with my knee.  I'm moving in with my shoulders too much and getting stuffed easily.

There were a couple of times when I felt like I put Robert in trouble.  I was able to gift wrap him then flower sweep him into mount, from their I was able to take his back.  However, he grabbed my hooks and just jumped out of back mount.  That was probably my success story of the day.  Otherwise I was getting destroyed or fighting off my back the rest of the time.  I was doing better at fighting for and keeping the underhook from half guard which helped tremendously. 

I liked going from standing today and hopefully I'll make more opportunities to work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment