Sunday, April 29, 2012

April 26th - Gi Class (Good Training Partner)

Conan was our teacher yesterday.  I arrived a little late and missed whatever they did for a warm-up.  The theme was dealing with knee on belly and side control from the bottom.

I ended up working with Mike for the entire class which actually went pretty well.  On most reps we would try the technique and then kind of ad lib a little bit.  We played with moderate resistance and maybe went a little overboard a couple times but would just start over again.  It was refreshing because sometimes drilling seems kind of flat, with this I felt like I was getting a workout and I had to try harder to make things work.

For open mat I rolled with David.  I got guard really early and maintained it fairly well but had a hard time with David's forehead on my sternum.  I don't remember how it happened but I eventually ended up in top side control.  It didn't last very long and I ended up in David's guard.  He did a great job controlling my collar and posture, I tried my best to break his grip but was unable to.  It ended with the inevitable triangle.

Conan and I rolled three or four times after that.  He kicked my butt pretty well.  I feel like I did some good things but was really no match for him.  About the best that I can hope to do is defend smartly for as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment