Tuesday, January 1, 2013

December 30th - No Gi

Conan gave me the privilege of suggesting our theme of the day.  Since I had worked on some butterfly guard the day before, I suggested that.  I was pleasantly surprised that we did some techniques that I had not done before.

We started with the basic sweep as expected.  We did quite a few reps with this and each technique.  Probably the most uncomfortable is the spinal lock using double unders.  It's very paralyzing and pretty difficult to counter.  We did a similar one around the shoulders which was new to me. 

We switched gears and worked butterfly against a standing opponent.  This required a lot of shin work.  Similar to koala guard we would grab behind the knee and outside shin on their shin.  From there pull them down onto you either sweep or regain full butterfly.  This was also new to me and was pretty fun. 

I rolled with Conan, Jerad and Wes.  Nothing out of the ordinary to report.  I got beaten like I should by Jerad and Conan, and I didn't have too much difficulty with Wes.  I don't think I was ever in any danger with him anyway.  Conan went over some things to improve my side control which was a little difficult to grasp what he was getting at, but I think I got something out of it.

3 comments: