Sunday, January 27, 2013

January 25th - Open Mat (Nemesis Stalemate)

Made it to the end of open mat yesterday.  Apparently Jerad and Mike had been there quite a while already.  I'm excited to be able to make it to open mat again and not worry as much about getting injured.

I rolled with David first and surprisingly held my own.  I remember a time when I would roll with David and feel completely overwhelmed.  I started in guard and was stuck there for a while.  I had a couple of armbar attempts and took his back for a moment.  He did put me in full guard where he wanted me for a time.  It was very frustrating probably for both of us because he would try every way to get my arm into a place to get a triangle and I would try to keep my posture and keep pulling my arms away.  Eventually he had to go so we left it as a stalemate. 

I rolled with Fuji next and while I caught him with a heel hook at one point I felt dominated at all other times.  I think once I become more comfortable with the turtle position this might help me escape side control but for now I get smashed a lot there with him.  He got me a few times with americanas.

I finished off the session with several rolls with Mike.  He pretty much trounced me as well.  We got into a couple of leg lock battles from 50/50 which I lost.  I get really frustrated with his side mount.  Every Time I try to escape he switches to the other side.  Mike says that I just roll to my side and stay there, so I need to do something about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment