Tuesday, January 8, 2013

January 7th - Gi

Our regular instructors were absent yesterday so Ken warmed us up and Will ended up teaching the technique portion of class.  Ken did a decent warm-up with the addition of some falls that we haven't done in a while.  I was having some troubles with keeping up due to some pain so I did what I could or stretched while they did some sprints and other running type exercises.

Will had us work on a series from closed guard starting with the x-collar choke.  It's not something that I get very often, usually when I try it I can never get the wrist positions correct.  I worked with Mike on this who really likes these types of chokes and he gave me some pointers.  Next we moved to armbar if they defend the choke.  I worked with Chris and Ken on this and the remaining techniques.  This was Chris's first day back in quite a while and it seemed like his body had forgotten how to do some of the techniques but it was coming back to him.  From there we did the opposite side armbar utilizing the shin if they pulled out the initial armbar.  Finally if that technique failed we went for the triangle.  It was a nice progression, the only thing I would add to it is the omma platta as that is what naturally came to me a few times.

We did the 8 minute drill per my request so I could get some pseudo rolling in.  I worked with Mike and while I did catch him once from the back he completely made me look like a fool in mount and side mount.  I was very impressed by his escaping ability.  Any space that I would give him he'd find a way to sneak a leg in, go inverted or reach some type of butterfly guard.  Some of this was me not being able to use my leg the way I want to but I can't take anything away from Mike's ability.  I don't recall being submitted by Mike, but it's possible it happened.  He kept really good control over me and I didn't escape very often. 

I watched Mike and Will roll during open mat and gritted my teeth when I had to turn down James and Ken when they asked me to roll.  My gi is currently in Wisconsin, hopefully it arrives tomorrow, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment