Friday, January 11, 2013

January 10th - Gi

The kimura was the theme of yesterday's class.  After a basic warm-up Conan had us practice the basic technique from guard.  From there we worked against if they defended by grabbing their pants and a few things to do against that like hip heist or moving further down the arm and using your forearm to affect the shoulder more, hard to explain but it's the same same thing just not with the strict grips. 

We got into some more difficult issues like how to pass if you are having the kimura done to you, and then do a farside armbar.  Then we learned how to counter that and roll them over as they go for the armbar.  I did have some issues with the passing and both Mike and Will helped me figure out what I was doing wrong.  I still made some mistakes and Mike was quick to point them out.

I felt like a third wheel during open mat.  I turned down a few offers to roll and just watched and coached a few times.  I have to keep reminding myself that this is going to make me better in the long run.  I did get Will to allow me to drill the over/under pass and troubleshoot it a bit which was nice.

I got my new gi yesterday and it fits perfectly besides the sleeves being a little long.  I'm glad Ray brought his similar gi for me to try on because I was going to go with the smaller size.  I'll post some pictures and a short review of it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment