Monday, January 7, 2013

January 6th - No Gi

Ray warmed us up a bit with some shrimping and inverting exercises, but left when Jerad arrived to go see his brother off.  Jerad had us work on mount which coincidentally I was going to ask for.  It was a position oriented class instead of focusing on submissions.  We worked on getting under their elbows with a couple of techniques similar to arm drags.  We discussed giving them space to turn to setup taking the back and finally we setup the arm triangle from them pushing on your hips. 

We finished class with the 8 minute drill.  I contemplated not participating as this somewhat breaks my no-roll policy.  Since it is very controlled rolling in that we don't switch positions I decided it should be okay as long as I didn't do turtle.  I was partnered up with Tate and from my point of view it was a great match-up for both of us.  I don't think either of us got a submission and we both only had a hand full of escapes but we were very active.

During open mat I worked with Jordan and Stanley with some more mount stuff.  Watched them roll and tried to coach Stan a little bit and give pointers.  It's pretty difficult to coach someone with 3 or 4 classes under their belt.  They don't know the terminology and expend too much energy.  But, I think both of them took something away from the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment