Monday, January 28, 2013

January 27th - No Gi

I got to request that we work on some side control yesterday due to my recent shortcomings in rolling.  As I have posted recently I have been told that I lay on my side and stay there when put into side control.  Mostly what Conan focused on was having us create space and regain guard. 

We did a lot of reps of the basic shrimp and then knee in to guard.  From there we did a couple of sweeps using the scissor sweep position.  We worked on making space when someone was in close in side control by getting our hands inside as a frame to push their chin away.  Another interesting technique we worked on was when one arm was trapped to not allow them to get the other arm free to finish the submission.  This is something that I hadn't thought about and turned out to be an informative exercise.

During open mat I rolled with Adam quite a bit.  He appears to be all about ankle locks now because that's what he got me in several times.  Other than that I did okay. 

I rolled with Wes as well and implemented some stuff that Conan and I talked about before class.  I've been having trouble with the half way back position where I have passed their arm but can't fully get up to take the back.  I relaxed a little more and instead of fighting to get up I allowed him to twist a little more and was able to sweep him into back mount.  I had him in mount another time and he still hasn't learned to keep his arms in and kept pushing up with straight arms so I was able to armbar him.  No worries, I remember having a hard time getting over that myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment