Wednesday, November 13, 2013

November 12th 2013 - Gi Noon & Evening

Noon
Theme & Techniques: Cross Guard Omoplata to Armbar

Just Jordan and I today continuing our Bromoplata tradition.  Today Greg showed us a counter to the opponent grabbing our opposite leg while attempting an omoplata.  From there we would cup their elbow kick out and then armbar with their wrist in the armpit.  This is another great piece to this guard that I need because I run into this problem often now that people are savvy to my cross guard.  To further this position, I ordered Tinguinha's Cross Guard DVD and can't wait to study it.

Rolling: Closed Guard Position, Free Rolling

Greg joined us for guard passing and frustrated me as usual.  He played the 2 on 1 that he's been working on and I only realized it too late.  It's so strong but it hasn't been working for me as much as him.  However, it is cool to see how things get incorporated into his game. 

I did well with Jordan, although he seemed a little tougher than previously.  I had to work pretty hard to pass his guard and also to keep him in my guard.  I did setup a cool lasso sweep towards the end. 

We free rolled a little bit and had a great time.  I'd rather do that for another hour than go back to work.  There was one point where I was in knee shield half guard and I was setting up the spin under omoplata but I had tunnel vision and as soon as Jordan moved it all fell apart.

Evening
Theme & Techniques: Judo Turnover to side control or back control, Taking back from side control

Ray showed up last night so he ended up partnering with Adam.  I worked with Henry instead which was a good change of pace.  We did adequate reps of everything and would challenge each other every now and again.   Nothing too terribly new here.

Rolling: Back Control Up/Down/Out, King of the Mat Guard

Greg separated us into big and small groups by size.  So Adam, Ray, Henry, and I were on one side of the room while Mike, Mo, Brian, and John were in the small guy's group.  Greg floated to both sides.  I did some pretty good things here.  Probably the most impressive was when Ray tapped to an arm lock on his inside arm when he escaped to deep half.  For some reason though I thought that when I would finally tap out Ray there would be fireworks and fanfare but from my end I was more like, "Wait are you sure?"  It's also not as brag worthy being that it was positional sparring and I started in a good spot.  So I'll wait for that day when I can do it off of a legit roll. 

When we did King of the mat next from guard Ray and Adam ended up squandering away the majority of the time.  When Greg announced there was only 1 minute left I grabbed Henry to get some more sparring in, but it didn't feel like enough.  I still wanted to train more after class but it didn't look like anyone else was game.

No comments:

Post a Comment