Wednesday, November 6, 2013

November 5th 2013 - Gi Noon & Evening (Finally Got It?)

Noon
Theme and Techniques: Arm Drag to Single Leg, Omaplata roll over, Over/Under Pass

Greg gave Jordan and I the option to choose what to work on so I requested my focus techniques from the competition class. I feel pretty good about completing the single leg, but getting there is where I usually fall short.  I've been researching some setups for this technique on YouTube focusing mostly on the gi.

I think we finally figured out what I've been doing wrong with the omaplata counter to when they posture.  Greg took videos of me doing the technique and then of him doing them.  We discovered that I was under my opponent too much, mostly due to me holding the underhooked leg tight to my head.  Once I made space between us I was able to roll over just fine without running into them.  Technique Achievement Unlocked!


Rolling: Guard Position, Free Rolling

I felt pretty good about my guard today and kept from getting passed.  There were a couple times that I just squeaked by barely.  Since we are both getting versed in the cross guard, I'm trying the best I can to be sneaky when I set it up.  I used quite a bit of spider guard and tried my best to setup sweeps by grabbing his opposite leg.

We free rolled after class for 5 minutes where I mostly played guard.  I was able to take Jordan's back at one point and work my way to a bow and arrow.  During our second roll I had him in a strange side triangle position and we kind of got stuck there as I couldn't figure out how to finish it and he couldn't escape.

Evening
Theme and Techniques:  Butter Fly Guard Hook Sweep, Knee Slide to pass Butterfly Guard

Worked with Chris today who is always a great partner.  We both challenged each other to have good technique.  One constant battle for any type of guard in the gi is grip fighting and it's something that we addressed repeatedly by keeping our hands forward and legs flat.  When passing the butterfly guard we'd grab the knees and step into their butterfly and went for an underhook or grab their neck to go for a knee cut pass.  This was a new technique for me and one that I'll keep in mind.

Rolling: Guard Gauntlet, Free Rolling

I was on the other end of the guard gauntlet for once with Chris: Spider, Jared: Butterfly, Adam: Half Gaurd, Mike: Full Guard Top, Greg: Side Control Bottom.  Hopefully I gave everyone a little trouble (well except Jerad, he had my number tonight). 

I rolled with Jerad first and he kicked my butt some more.  He was able to mount me and then setup an armbar that was pretty slick.  Jorge was up next and he really tried to take it to me in the beginning.  He's a little too overzealous and should probably slow down and work some technique but it was good for me.  I kept calm and was able to pull him into full guard which led to the scissor sweep to mount.  I tied some collar chokes and then switched to side control.  I never got a sub, but I controlled him pretty well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment